After a wonderful career in the world of integrated marketing communications, I decided to leave corporate America to run my corporate photography business full-time. While enjoying my business and the flexibility of setting my own schedule, I had the opportunity to teach one of my favorite subjects at my undergrad alma mater and immediately fell in love with academia. I began my doctoral work in August of 2016 and completed my Ph.D. in Mass Communications with a certificate in Women and Gender Studies at the University of South Carolina in May of 2020. I'll be joining the faculty at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln this fall as Assistant Professor of Advertising and Public Relations.
"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - Susan Sontag
Traveling is as essential to my life as breathing. If I don't have a trip on the calendar I'm probably planning one! Favorite destinations include Italy, Paris, and Hawaii, but I also have a large place in my heart reserved for Surfside Beach, SC, and Disney World. When I'm not planning a vacation or traveling you can probably find me reading in a big comfy chair.
FACTS ABOUT ME
"I am and always will be the optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams." - Matt Smith/Doctor Who
Here are a few random facts that you probably wouldn't know about me unless we shared a cup of tea:
- I'm an avid Harry Potter, Doctor Who and Star Trek fan.
- I got my black belt in Tae Kwon Do at the age of 36.
- I am an adoptive Mom of 2 beautiful girls from Peru.
- I love movies and frequently quote lines from my favorites (my apologies in advance).
- I firmly believe that everything is better with cheese and chocolate.
- I am addicted to Burts Bees Lip Balm.
- I love veggies. No meat please.
- My husband gave me a miter saw for Valentine's Day one year and it's been the best. gift. ever. A day in the garage with my power tools is almost as good as a massage. Almost.